Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Caramel Apple Tutorial


Found this on Flikr. Looks delicious.


This is what food hero Cat Cora says...
1) Wash and peel a large, fairly tart apple. I used a Pink Lady here, but as you can see it's a little dark and mealy. Next time I'll go with a good old Granny Smith. Using a melon baller, extract balls of apple. A large apple will yield about 6 balls (plus scraps for you to snack on). Place in a bowl and sprinkle with lemon juice.

2) Prepare a dipping station. I'm using mini-cupcake papers and shortened bamboo skewers (cut with kitchen shears- the remnants are great for stirring and whatnot). I also have a bowl of crushed nuts (peanuts in this case) and a bowl of warmed caramel apple dip.

3) Carefully spear each ball of apple through the ROUND end. Keep the flat end on the bottom, so they stand upright. Using a paper towel, blot off the excess lemon juice. This is important- if the apple has too much juice left on it, the caramel won't stick.

4) Dip the apple in the caramel, using a twirling motion to coat it evenly.

5) Transfer the apple to the nuts and roll, using a gentler twirling motion.

6) Stand the apples upright in the cups and let them chill in the fridge to solidify. Cute and addictive!

2 comments:

Beth said...

Thanks for the tutorial. I love caramel apples and I can't wait for an excuse to make these. I never would have thought to use a melon baller. And I am not sure the purpose of the lemon juice but I'll go with it. ;o)

Rachel@oneprettything.com said...

Oh, this is fantastic! I just discovered your blog via Craft when I was linking to the caramel apple tutorial. I love your tutorials. Would you mind if I linked to them in future editions of the Daily DIY?